Social Security Administration Services In North Carolina
The services offered by the Social Security Administration are pretty consistent from state to state. These services range from simple items like requesting a replacement Social Security card to more complex items like appealing a disability decision. Here are some of the most common services offered at the Social Security offices in North Carolina.
- Request a new or replacement Social Security card
- Request a name change on your Social Security card
- Review your Social Security statement or your earnings history
- Get an estimate of your retirement benefits
- Get a proof of benefits letter
- Apply for Social Security retirement benefits
- Apply for Social Security Disability Insurance benefits
- Apply for Supplemental Security Income benefits
- Apply for Social Security spousal or survivor benefits
- Apply for Medicare or get a replacement Medicare card
- Set up direct deposit information for your Social Security benefits
Social Security Raleigh Office Services Provided:
Apply for Benefits
- Set Up or Change Direct Deposit
Manage your account
- Suite 200, 3511 Shannon Rd, Durham, NC 27707 20.9 mi
- 633 Venture Dr, Smithfield, NC 27577 28.46 mi
- 858 S Beckford Dr, Henderson, NC 27536 35.45 mi
- 1911 Westwood Ave W, Wilson, NC 27893 37.88 mi
- 401 Tiffany Dr, Sanford, NC 27330 42.11 mi
- 1071 Hunter Hill Rd, Rocky Mount, NC 27804 45.08 mi
My Social Security Card Was Lost/stolen What Do I Do
If your Social Security card has been lost or stolen, you can request a replacement card online through your My Social Security account. Requesting your card online will usually allow you to receive your new card within 10 to 14 days. In addition to requesting a new card, you should also keep a close eye on your credit report. Identity thieves may attempt to use your information to establish credit or new accounts in your name. Sign up for a credit monitoring service and put a fraud alert on your Social Security number with the major credit bureaus. If someone has already tried to use your information, then you might even consider placing a credit freeze on your SSN.
Also Check: Protect Your Social Security Number
What Is A Social Security Number
Social Security numbers are assigned to U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and people temporarily authorized to work in the United States. A social Security number is used to report your wages to the government and to determine eligibility for Social Security benefits. The Social Security number has become a de facto national identification number for taxation and other purposes.
Old Age Survivors And Disability
SSA administers the retirement, survivors, and disabled social insurance programs, which can provide monthly benefits to aged or disabled workers, their spouses and children, and to the survivors of insured workers. In 2010, more than 54 million Americans received approximately $712 billion in Social Security benefits. The programs are primarily financed by taxes which employers, employees, and the self-insured pay annually. These revenues are placed into a special trust fund. These programs are collectively known as Retirement, Survivors, Disability Insurance .
SSA administers its disability program partly through its Office of Disability Adjudication and Review , which has regional offices and hearing offices across the United States. ODAR publishes a manual, called HALLEX, which contains instructions for its employees regarding how to implement its guiding principles and procedures.
The RSDI program is the primary benefits program administered by the U.S. federal government, and for some beneficiaries is the vital source of income. Increasing access to this benefit program for low-income or homeless individuals is one of SSA’s goals. SSA is a member of the United States Interagency Council on Homelessness and works with other municipal, county, state, local and federal partners to increase access and approval for SSI/SSDI benefits who are eligible.
Read Also: Social Security Office Coconut Creek
North Carolina’s Disability Determination Services
After Social Security decides you meet the basic eligibility requirements , your application is sent to North Carolina’s Disability Determination Services agency. DDS, administered by the Department of Health and Human Services, is responsible for making the initial decisions about whether you are disabled. Here is the contact information:
North Carolina Disability Determination ServicesP.O. Box 243
For more information, visit the DDS website.
Still A Good Idea To Make An Appointment For In
Social Security field offices, closed since March 17, 2020, because of the COVID-19 pandemic, reopened Thursday, April 7.
During the pandemic, in-person appointments at Social Security field offices were limited to critical situations, such as for people who were without food, medicine or shelter. While most offices can help you without an appointment, a few offices are closed or open by appointment only. Find out which offices are closed or open by appointment only, by visiting ssa.gov/emergency. SSA encourages you to make an appointment as this will help them plan for you.
You can do many things online at ssa.gov, such as apply for benefits. Also, with a personal my Social Security account, you can get an instant benefit verification letter or check the status of your application most people can request a replacement Social Security card.
Recommended Reading: Can You Open Bank Account Without Social Security Number
How Can I Check My Social Security Benefits
You can easily check your Social Security benefits online at SSA.gov through a My Social Security account. This account allows you to do many things through the Social Security Administration. First, you can get information about your existing benefits. You can also estimate future benefits using their benefit calculator tools. You also have access to your earnings history and other valuable information about your Social Security benefits.
Obtaining A Social Security Card
The Social Security Administration will only issue Social Security numbers and cards to those students who need one for employment purposes.
You cannot qualify for a card as ID or in order to get a driver’s license. You may only apply for a card if you meet one of the following conditions:
- For on-campus work
- For students with approved Curricular Practical Training or Optional Practical Training
- For other special cases of off-campus work approved by the USCIS
- If a student meets one of the conditions above, then s/he may apply for a Social Security number.
Visiting the Winston-Salem Social Security Administration Office
If you would like to obtain a social security card, please bring the following documents to the Social Security Administration office:
- Application for a Social Security Card which can be found on the US Social Security web site.
- A copy of your current I-20 or DS-2019
- Your passport and a copy of the information and visa pages
- A letter of offer from the office or company that will be employing you that includes the location of employment and the dates you will be working.
- A letter from the DSO in the Office of International Programs stating you are a student in good standing and eligible for employment
Tips for You
- Give yourself ample time to complete the process. The Social Security Office is often very crowded.
- Ask an OIP staff member about the best bus routes to use to reach the office.
Winston-Salem Social Security Office
Former Operations Supervisor At Social Security Administration Sentenced To Over 5 Years For Wire Fraud And Identity Theft
NEW BERN, N.C. A Saint Pauls, North Carolina woman, Stephanie Chavis, was sentenced today to 65 months in prison and three years of supervised release for wire fraud and aggravated identity theft. Chavis was also ordered to pay $760,966 in restitution to the Social Security Administration. On April 16, 2019, Chavis pled guilty to the charges.
According to court documents and other information presented in court, Chavis was an Operations Supervisor at the Fayetteville offices of the Social Security Administration . SSA administers monetary aid to the public through federally funded programs, including the Supplemental Security Income program , which authorizes monthly payments to qualifying individuals who are 65 years or older, blind, or disabled, and who meet certain income and resource criteria.
To circumvent SSA policy requirements, Chavis provided the beneficiary PII and account information for deposit purposes to unsuspecting claims representatives and asked them to create approximately 100 fraudulent payment requests. After the requests were created, Chavis either approved them herself or asked other SSA employees to process the approvals. Thereafter, the stolen funds were deposited into the bank accounts under Chaviss control.
How Do I Make An Appointment At A Social Security Office In North Carolina
To make an appointment at a Social Security office in North Carolina, you will need to call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 between the hours of 8:00 AM to 5:30 PM Monday through Friday. Remember that you do not need an appointment to apply for benefits or appeal a disability decision. These tasks can be completed online. You can also contact Social Security at the same number if you need to cancel or reschedule your appointment.
Read Also: Las Vegas Nv Social Security Office
What Is Social Security
In 1935, President Franklin Roosevelt signed the Social Security Act. This new federal legislature started the collecting of taxes in 1937. Since then, working citizens across the United States began paying into social security in order to have a form of guaranteed income once they reached retirement age.
The Social Security Act was initially meant to be a form of basic retirement for working individuals. However, in 1939, an amendment was made to the act that allowed spouses and/or children to begin receiving social security survivor benefits if a parent or spouse was deceased and qualified for social security income.
Calendar Your Ssa Appointment
Making an appointment is simple: call 1-800-772-1213 Monday through Friday between 7 am and 7 pm. The best time to call is first thing in the morning or in the last hour of the day, from 6-7 pm.
An SSA employee will give you a call back if you leave a message before the office opens at 9 am. Set up your appointment, and do your best to keep it. The sooner you get there, the faster you can begin your application process. Write the date and time in your calendar and make it a priority.
Also Check: Social Security Offices In Louisville Ky
When Youre Ready Contact Social Security To Sign Up:
- Apply online This is the easiest and fastest way to sign up and get any financial help you may need. Youll need to create your secure my Social Security account to sign up for Medicare or apply for Social Security benefits online.
- Contact your local Social Security office.
- If you or your spouse worked for a railroad, call the Railroad Retirement Board at 1-877-772-5772.
Social Security Hendersonville Office Services Provided:
Apply for Benefits
- Set Up or Change Direct Deposit
Manage your account
- 800 Centre Park Drive, Asheville, NC 28805 20.25 mi
- 707 Schenck St, Shelby, NC 28150 51.91 mi
- 2123 Lakeside Dr, Franklin, NC 28734 52.11 mi
- 1501 Us Highway 321 Nw, Hickory, NC 28601 68.1 mi
- 609 Cotton Blossom Cir, Closed For Walkin Service, Gastonia, NC 28054 73.79 mi
- 1517 River St, Wilkesboro, NC 28697 91.15 mi
Don’t Miss: Social Security Appointment Name Change
Making Your Social Security Office Visit Pain
In order to ensure that visiting your Social Security Office is a smooth and pain-free experience, there are a few things you should keep in mind:
- Arriving early can help reduce the time you spend waiting in line. Try to arrive at least 15 minutes before your appointment.
- Even if you arrive early, you may be faced with wait times. Try to stay calm and remember that the office workers are doing their best!
- Coming prepared with the necessary documents is essential. In many cases you’ll need to bring a birth certificate, passport, proof of United States citizenship or legal US residency, and other documents. If you’re unsure as to what you’ll need, call your Social Security Office in Alabama in advance to double-check!
Plan Ahead To Avoid Long Lines
AARP Membership LIMITED TIME OFFER Labor Day Sale
Join AARP for just $9 per year when you sign up for a 5-year term. Get instant access to members-only products and hundreds of discounts, a free second membership, and a subscription to AARP the Magazine.
Like many businesses and organizations, Social Security had turned to options like online and telephone services to conduct its operations during the pandemic. Those options are still available. Nevertheless, people in rural areas and those without access to transportation or technology have struggled for help with Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security Disability Insurance and Supplemental Security Income .
To avoid waiting in line, I strongly encourage people who can, to use our online services at www.socialsecurity.gov, call us and schedule appointments in advance rather than walking in without an appointment, said Kilolo Kijakazi, Social Securitys acting commissioner, in a statement. Social Security warns that it is currently having problems with its phone systems. You may experience service issues, including poor call quality, dropped calls and long wait times.
Recommended Reading: Social Security Office In Poteau Oklahoma
Social Security Hickory Office Services Provided:
Apply for Benefits
- Set Up or Change Direct Deposit
Manage your account
- 1517 River St, Wilkesboro, NC 28697 28.52 mi
- 2038 Davie Ave, Statesville, NC 28625 29.4 mi
- 707 Schenck St, Shelby, NC 28150 32.66 mi
- 609 Cotton Blossom Cir, Closed For Walkin Service, Gastonia, NC 28054 36.54 mi
- 830 Florence St Nw, Concord, NC 28027 48.58 mi
- 1840 Jake Alexander Blvd W, Salisbury, NC 28147 48.68 mi
Social Security Offices Within 100 Miles
This website is not associated with the Social Security Administration or any government services and is for general information only. Although we attempt to keep the information up to date, some information may be out of date. Please contact your local Social Security Office to obtain information directly from the SSA.
Read Also: Social Security Office In Murfreesboro Tn
How Do I Apply For Disability Benefits
If you need to apply for disability benefits, then completing an application online is the quickest and easiest way to do it. This will allow you to get an initial determination of your eligibility faster. You can also apply over the phone or in-person at your local office. Remember that you will need to call and schedule an appointment as no walk-ins are currently being accepted. If your benefits are denied, you can also file an appeal online. Many people choose to hire an attorney during the appeals process, so you might choose to go that route as well.
Ssn Application Us Address Format
When you apply for the Social Security Number , a physical card will be mailed to you at the address you provide on your SSN application. It is important to make sure your U.S. address is correctly formatted. Otherwise, delivery of your SSN card may be delayed or you may be required to reapply for the SSN.
SSN Application U.S. Mailing Address Format:
Line 1: Street number followed by street name, Apartment number Line 2: City, State and Zipcode
Example of Off-Campus Address:
You May Like: What Age Do You Receive Social Security
You Can Request Your Card Online Today
Sign in or create an account to submit your request
You can replace your card online and receive it in 14 days. You can also use your account to check the status of your request and manage other benefits you receive from us.
Trouble signing in?
Start the application online and visit your local SSA office for additional guidance for completing your application.
Prefer to talk to someone?
Contact your local SSA office.
You can start your Social Security number card application online. Once you’ve submitted your request, visit your local SSA office for additional guidance for completing your application. You will need to give us some of the information you provided again.
How Do I Change The Name On My Social Security Card
If you need to change the name on your Social Security card, you should submit an application to the Social Security Administration, along with the proper documentation. The Form SS-5 application should be completed and returned to the Social Security Administration by mail or in-person. Name changes cannot be accomplished online at this time. Remember that you will need to include evidence of your name change along with your application. This could be a marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order of a legal name change.
You May Like: Social Security Office Columbia Sc
North Carolina Social Security Card Name Change Process
If you have legally changed your name you need to update your social security card. Some common situations where you would need to update your social security card in cases of marriage, divorce, after becoming a naturalized citizen or you have legally changed your name. When you have changed your name legally, even just your last name, it is important that your social security card is updated so that your future social security benefits from the SSA do not run into issues.
Below we have listed the basic steps to a social security card name change in North Carolina:
Bring A List Of Questions
It can be intimidating to sit down with a Claims Specialist when you have limited time and are unfamiliar with the SSA application process. For this reason, everyone should bring a list of questions.
Give some thought to what you dont understand about the disability or retirement process, and write it down. There is no such thing as a dumb question!
Your goal is to make sure everything gets answered. Some examples of good questions to ask if you are applying for disability:
- Should I apply for SSI or SSDI? Whats the difference?
- Where do I apply?
- How long will it take for me to find out the decision?
- What medical information will I need?
- What information do I need to show my work history?
- What are work credits?
- What documents will I need to prove my income?
- What documents will I need to prove my resources?
Also Check: Social Security Administration San Diego